Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Oven Cleaning

Funny Story: The 2nd or 3rd day we were here I tried to use the oven. I checked to make sure no pans were being stored in the oven and then set it to preheat while I got the chicken strips out and on the pan to bake. When I opened the oven to actually put the chicken in smoke billowed out into the apartment. It set off the fire alarm and made it stink. I assumed that the oven hadn't been cleaned in awhile and set it to self clean later that evening. After about 15 mins I walked back into the kitchen to check on the oven and there was a fire inside it. Now, I understand that the self cleaning feature basically burns off food that has spilled over into the oven floor and a little flame can be expected, but I'm talking about a 4-5 inch flame in the oven. I turned off the oven, ran and got a room mate and after a little while she was trying to get ahold of the front desk, and I had pulled the pin on the fire extinguisher and was ready to use it if need be. In the mean time the flame grew and grew to about 8-9 inches. It was crazy! So basically we decided to had clean it ourselves next time.

Next time didn't happen until this morning. When one of my roommates was cleaning and pulled a charred pot handle out of the bottom of the oven. No wonder it was smoking and there was such a large flame in it!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is really crazy. I can't believe that whoever dropped the pot handle in there, didn't get it out. That is really crazy. I'm glad the sprinklers didn't go off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you put some marinara sauce on a well done pot handle it becomes a French Dish and is considered a delicacy. (Of course it will pretend it has no idea what you are saying.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!THANKS!!!!!! Professional Cleaners

    ReplyDelete