Saturday, June 1, 2013

Meet Shanti




Shanti is a school teacher. Some schools have already started back by the time we arrived in Bangalaru, but she took her vacation days to be at the church doing VBS with us. Shanti is very matter-of-fact. She doesn't beat around the bush, nor is she afraid to tell you how it's supposed to be. The children loved and respected her for this.Shanti's smile is full of light and her heart if full of joy. Her worn hands are kind, and her spirit is sweet.

One day I was sitting amongst the kiddos near her during VBS. Some of them asked her how old I am. When I told her I am 26 her eyes got big and she laughed a little. I smiled knowing she must have thought me older or younger and I asked her which.

"I thought maybe 19 or 20. You are 26? You are not married yet?"

I smiled, I knew to expect this type of reaction to a 26 year old girl who is not married, so I wasn't offended at all. In India a woman past 23 or 24 and not married must have something is wrong with her. I said, "No, but I'm praying about it."

Shanti smiled big and said, "I will pray for you too. That God will bring you a husband. It is time. Two or three years ago... it is time."

There is that "matter-of-fact"-ness. I laughed and we chatted a little bit more about some of the differences in marriage customs between the US and India.

After the last day of VBS the church members honored us that evening with a ceremony and a dinner. After watching the dance they had prepared for us I sat next to Shanti and showed her my anklet. Many of the women/girls in this area wear anklets so I had taken one of my longer necklaces and wound it around my foot. I thought she would be excited that I was trying to adopt an India custom.
Instead she tilted her head a little and asked, "Where is next one?" Pointing to my chainless foot.

"I only have one."

"No. You wear two. Where is next one?"

"Um, I only have one. I've seen girls wear these-"

Before I could continue to explain she said, "No, you need two." And sure enough, I looked around. There were a few women with them on that night and they each had a matching set. I have to laugh at her personality, she meant no offense to me. She considers me a friend and was just letting me know that I was not doing it correctly!

When it was time to eat, Shanti grabbed my arm and led me around the table that held buckets and buckets of India foods. She made sure that I got a little of everything. (Even the fish. If you know me you'll laugh. "Weather you eat or drink..." was my mantra, all the way through the bones and skin. Yeah for experiences!)

Shanti even made sure I knew how to eat each dish. Indians do not eat with utensils. It's fingers all the way and sometimes it can be tricky for us uncultured Americans. She showed me which dishes you pick up with bread and which sauces you mix with which rices. Then before I sat down she told Sharon and I that this was a Traditional India Love Feast. The woman of the church had each prepared a special dish for us to try and sample all the tastes of India! It was amazing and such a blessing that they wanted to honor us!

My final memory of Shanti comes from Friday. We were able to be celebrate the opening of a medical clinic near the church. Pastor Babu's wife, Dr. Sujatha (affectionately called Suji,) will run the clinic full time at a very reduced price for the people of the neighborhood. Their vision is to be able to give medicines and exams to the poor and point them towards Christ to heal their hearts as He also grants Dr. Sujatha wisdom to heals their bodies. It was so exciting to get to witness the opening and dedication of the clinic to the Lord in the midst of a very spiritually dark area.

Many, many, many of the people we had been working with all week came to celebrate and after the ribbon cutting and confetti most of them got "check-ups" as well. They would come in, sit on the exam table and Suji would take their blood pressure and check blood sugars. After the check-up they would hug Suji's neck and say some encouraging words to her.

Shanti was busy with the celebrations out on the street and didn't come in for her check up until just before we left. Suji, Shanti and about 3 or 4 more woman crowded in. It was like a group of girl-friends at a party. I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but the fun they were having was evident. Suji had to shush Shanti because she was talking too much and too loudly for the stethoscope to be of any use.

After the check up was complete Shanti gave Suji a long hug and I think she prayed for her too. When they stepped apart there were large tears in both the woman's eyes. Then one of the other woman said something and everyone laughed loudly while wiping away tears.

"Can you tell me what's happening?" I asked not wanting to interrupt the moment, but wanting to understand it.

"Tears of joy." Suji said.

That was all I needed to understand. These women have prayed together for 2 or 3 years and were finally seeing this God-sized dream become a reality. Shanti, along with the rest of us in that room, were overwhelmed in that moment by the goodness of our God.

I'm so thankful for Russ, Alice, and AIM. I'm thankful God has connected the people of faith, the dreams, and the resources needed to make His plans a reality.

I am also thankful for my new friend Shanti. She is a woman of faith, a woman of prayer, and a woman of great joy. I will not forget her,and will be seeing her again. I just know it!


No comments:

Post a Comment