Tuesday, September 6, 2011

WANTED: Irresponsible man with a serious lack in confidence!


WANTED: An irresponsible guy who has zero confidence in himself. This confidence lack should be evident in his speech as well as in the way he carries himself from day to day. It would be nice if he would flirt with my friends occasionally so I can always feel in competition with them. Under no circumstances should we be on the same page spiritually. He must either believe in something slightly different than I or at least be way under my own spiritual maturity level.

Guess what? I'm reading yet another, "Use your singleness to prepare yourself for marriage," type of book. This one's starting out pretty fun though, so I'm holding out some hope it'll be pretty good. The first exercise was to create a want ad for your husband that was all wrong. Thus, the want ad above. There were some steps to go through before creating the ad to help me pinpoint some of the "best" bad qualities I should highlight. The point was to be funny and I literally laughed out loud while I was composing my ad.

The next serious of journal exercises were to help me identify and articulate what good qualities were extra important to me individually. Even though I've spent a lot of time dreaming about who God might have for me, the book actually asked several very specific questions that I really had to think about before I could answer. 10 pages later, (no joke) I'm really glad I decided to get a notebook and actually follow along with the journal activities it suggests. (I'm not normally one to do that. I'll highlight, underline and write in the margins of my books like no body's business, but when they actually encourage you to "take some time to write out ________." I rarely ever do it.)

The last part of the journaling had me read back over everything I had just written and sum up what I was looking for in a quick, "I'm looking for a man who is ______." statement. The author said that when she was single her statement was, "I'm looking for a man who is single, sexy, successful, saved and sane." Then she explained in a little bit of detail what each one of those descriptors meant to her. I decided to go with the alliteration and came up with the following.

"I am looking for a man who is looking, loving, learning and who is not lazy."

Looking- He is looking for/open to being with someone in a dating relationship. If I hear, "I think God might be calling to be single" from one more guy that I am interested in then we're gonna add another "L" word to the list because I am going to Loose it!

Loving- He is generally loving in his interactions with others. No guys with chips on their shoulders, or who are constantly putting other down please.

Learning- He is seeking after an active relationship with Christ, continuing to learn more about Him through the bible, books about faith and others who are more mature than he is. He is also interested in learning new things in general, just has an excitement for life and new experiences.

Not Lazy- He has goals for himself and he works towards accomplishing those goals in his day to day life. I'm okay if his goal is, "To serve Christ, and I don't really know exactly what that looks like yet," as long as his attitude toward life is not, "Whatever, I guess."


So that's my "Statement." If you know anyone who fits these... lol. ;-) I might add a post here or there from this book's journal, we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment